lydia

Lydia's Page

I like reading books about war dogs, shipwrecks, and lady aviators.

The Rainbow Comes and Goes: A Mother and Son On Life, Love, and Loss
Gloria Vanderbilt, Anderson Cooper
The Yellow Wallpaper - Charlotte Perkins Gilman

An old favorite & always a pleasure to revisit.

The first time I read this, I was in high school and just beginning to understand gender roles and sexual politics and what feminism is really about. I was raised in a largely conservative home in an extremely conservative state and honestly thought that feminism was about hating men and was irrelevant now that (huzzah hurrah) women have the vote.

I remember reading this and having everything fall into place-- really beginning to understand the history of feminism and the ways that, historically and currently, women are harmed by society's expectations. The Yellow Wallpaper led me to sign up for a Women's Studies class in college, which led me to completing a minor in Women's and Gender Studies and changed my life in so many ways.

I've been thinking about my journey as a feminist a lot lately (I write a blog called Angry Feminist Killjoy these days!) and I'm so grateful I could return to this little text that changed my life in such big ways this week.

(I listened to an audiobook version that was narrated by a guy, and that was a little weird.)