lydia

Lydia's Page

I like reading books about war dogs, shipwrecks, and lady aviators.

The Rainbow Comes and Goes: A Mother and Son On Life, Love, and Loss
Gloria Vanderbilt, Anderson Cooper
The Condition - Jennifer Haigh

Once more, I've pulled an audiobook off the shelf at random, hoping to find a true gem. This wasn't really it. I kept thinking that it was unremarkable but not forcibly unpleasant. The characters didn't seem fully fleshed out, they were all boxed into their personalities and didn't have very complex motivations. The mom in the book made me feel like I understood my own mom's neuroses a bit more, which is... good?? I guess??

I dunno. It's kind of whatever. Neither great nor terrible. There were some moments of fairly overt sexism/racism/able-ism that I think could have worked if the character's prejudices had been unpacked but instead it all kind of sat there.

I was listening to the end of this audiobook in the grocery store and I started cracking up in the frozen aisle at the very end because, wait, I guess this is kind of (not really??) a spoiler, hold on... [spoiler] all of a sudden, the story fast forwards five years and it's September 11, 2001. The sister with an incurable genetic disease that affects her physical appearance in a way that is a Plot Point thinks, "Oh no, my brother (who kept his sexuality a secret his whole life which turned into a Plot Point) works in the Towers!!" So then she calls home and he and the whole family including the other brother who was ditched by his wife when his wife fell in love with her stepbrother (LOL okay maybe this book was more ridiculous than I realized) are totally fine and she talks to her mom who she hasn't talked to in years and everybody lives happily ever after. [/spoiler]

When the book was over my only thought was, "...'kay." Then, I promptly started listening to Taylor Swift. Not really the kind of book that sticks with you.