lydia

Lydia's Page

I like reading books about war dogs, shipwrecks, and lady aviators.

The Rainbow Comes and Goes: A Mother and Son On Life, Love, and Loss
Gloria Vanderbilt, Anderson Cooper

Main Street Vegan: Everything You Need to Know to Eat Healthfully and Live Compassionately in the Real World - Adair Moran, Victoria Moran Moran presents an excellent defense of vegan living. The health, nutritional, and environmental benefits of a vegan diet are thoroughly explored. As with any text, readers should be aware of a certain level of biased claims- particularly that a simple switch to a vegan diet will cure all illnesses, stave off future diseases, and result in a godly body wrapped in flawless, glowing skin.For my taste, Moran relies far too heavily on an emotional rhetoric. Eating vegan has made me more compassionate and aware, but I was turned off by Moran's constant reiteration of the importance of conscious living. If you can work through the pathos, and the author's personal (and often pretentious) narratives, there's a lot of great material. Each of the forty chapters ends with a recipe, and all that I've tried have turned out wonderfully. Especially for new vegans, this book offers a wealth of information and inspiration. While I found Moran's style somewhat grating, I learned a lot and felt motivated to continue pursuing a vegan lifestyle.