lydia

Lydia's Page

I like reading books about war dogs, shipwrecks, and lady aviators.

The Rainbow Comes and Goes: A Mother and Son On Life, Love, and Loss
Gloria Vanderbilt, Anderson Cooper
The Spectacular Now - Tim Tharp

I finished this a few minutes ago. I haven't given myself time to gather coherent thoughts, but I did like it very much. It was painful and honest. The incomparable beauty of Albuquerque, New Mexico's sunsets even made an appearance!

Sutter is an unreliable and largely unlikeable narrator. He's selfish and sexist. But he has a powerful voice that persistently tugs you back into the narrative.

Sutter never gets around to imagining Aimee complexly. Aimee's lack of agency and identity was unsettling. I'm still trying to sort my feelings on her characterization, which is largely skewed by Sutter's perspective.

I felt like most of the book took place in Sutter's car, which he never drove sober. I had a hard time buying that much drunk driving never had any significant consequences.

The narrative doesn't end in the way you would expect. I loved that. It was sad and it felt real. You can love someone with everything you have, but that isn't sustainable. Until they're willing to accept that love, build their own confidence, stop using drugs and alcohol to avoid reality, and learn to love back, they'll be stuck in the same sad feedback loop Sutter never escapes. Seeing that play out from Sutter's point of view was powerful.