lydia

Lydia's Page

I like reading books about war dogs, shipwrecks, and lady aviators.

The Rainbow Comes and Goes: A Mother and Son On Life, Love, and Loss
Gloria Vanderbilt, Anderson Cooper
All the Bright Places - Jennifer Niven

I don't read much YA these days; my sister and I have been discussing the possibility that we've "outgrown" the genre, but I don't want to contribute to the argument that YA shouldn't be read by adults. I just haven't found myself interested lately.

I needed an audiobook for a road trip and this popped up on Overdrive. I was surprised by how much I liked it. The audiobook was sometimes difficult to follow, as there wasn't a good way to differentiate between external and internal thoughts. I had a hard time deciphering what was being said aloud and what was being thought internally by the characters.

I think this book is best read generously: like a lot of YA, the characters and their circumstances aren't always believable, but the core is solid. Having experienced severe depression and suicidal tendencies as a teenager, I felt that the depiction of these characters and their mental states were more accurate than any other YA "issue" book I've read. Actually, this book didn't feel like an "issue" book, and I think that's why I liked it so much.