lydia

Lydia's Page

I like reading books about war dogs, shipwrecks, and lady aviators.

The Rainbow Comes and Goes: A Mother and Son On Life, Love, and Loss
Gloria Vanderbilt, Anderson Cooper

Waylaid

Reblogged from you were never no locomotive:
Catching Fire - Suzanne  Collins

Last night, I dreamed that I was in the Hunger Games with my friend, Lydia. I was then inspired to watch the trailer for Catching Fire which comes out in November.

And thus, I am now re-reading the book - completely waylaying my reading plan. I'm supposed to be working towards being more well-read, not re-reading not-very-well-written-but-still-fun-to-read books for teens.

Which I guess brings me to a point -  yes, definitely, reading should be a tool to learn, and grow, and to challenge oneself with. But it should also be enjoyable, and sometimes a reader needs to read a little fluff.

-------

I am relatively certain I would not survive the Hunger Games, but I'd have a much better chance going at it with Kirsten!

I think Miss Kirsten brings up an important subject (the matter of reading for fun, not our participation in the Hunger Games). During my time as a Pretentious Teenager and English Undergrad, admitting to consuming popular texts was enough to get you kicked out of the Cool Crowd. (Interestingly, graduate school celebrates popular texts for their cultural creationism, etc.) But reading exclusively Literary Fiction isn't the best way to engage with the world- which is what I hope to do when I read books.

Far too often what constitutes "Literary Fiction" are stories told by straight, white, upper/middle class men. In my experience, popular fiction is more representational and reflective of real, lived narratives. There can be more space for exploration of these topics when you're not trying to be Literary. I love Literary Fiction. I'm a huge Theory Nerd. I get totally jazzed about applying critical lenses to texts. I also love popular fiction. Harry Potter has been every bit as valuable and meaningful in my development as a reader as any canonical text.

Read popular fiction and don't feel bad about it for a second!

Trust me, I'm telling you stories.