lydia

Lydia's Page

I like reading books about war dogs, shipwrecks, and lady aviators.

The Rainbow Comes and Goes: A Mother and Son On Life, Love, and Loss
Gloria Vanderbilt, Anderson Cooper

It's quick, but it's good.

Reblogged from Book Goodies :
The Sunset Limited: A Novel in Dramatic Form - Cormac McCarthy

It’s hard to call this a novel, but the cover does claim it to be a “novel in dramatic form,” so I’ll just go along with that.  You’ll find your classic bits of sparse punctuation and depressiveness in this work.  It’s a very quick read that is essentially a powerful and complex conversation between the two characters, Black and White.  There are a few ways to interpret this choice of naming, but to make this summary easy, one is a stubborn white man, and the other is a stubborn black man, which keeps the conversation tense and intriguing.

The setting is Black’s apartment.  It is quickly revealed that White is suicidal, and Black, as a man of God, takes it upon himself to converse with White to change his mind about living.  There are a miraculous number of topics covered in this brief novel of dialogue.  I actually enjoyed it very much.  Several times I reread various passages and found myself thinking in new ways.  For example, their discussion on religion felt honest, and it actually had me considering a few new perspectives in areas that have felt very solid and settled to me in the past.

McCarthy isn’t a man known for writing in abundance, but I still wish this had been longer.  I felt very caught up in it.  The ending could only go two ways, but I’m not sure that I felt ready for it when I got there.  The conclusion honestly hurt my opinion of the book.  I hoped for an ending as fulfilling yet ambiguous as John Carpenter’s film, “The Thing” (yeah, I know that sounds a little ridiculous but I can think of no better comparison for the conclusion I wanted), but that just wasn’t there for me.  Still, this is some of the better dialogue I’ve read in a while, and I do love my dialogue.  A whole novel of dialogue feels great, which makes me wonder why I don’t read plays more often.  Maybe it’s time to start.  Point of the reviewing being that this one is worth a read.