lydia

Lydia's Page

I like reading books about war dogs, shipwrecks, and lady aviators.

The Rainbow Comes and Goes: A Mother and Son On Life, Love, and Loss
Gloria Vanderbilt, Anderson Cooper
The Zookeeper's Wife: A War Story - Diane Ackerman

I accidentally downloaded this from my library's digital collection (oh, the woes of touchscreens) and started listening to it with no background, context, or even a general idea of what it's about.

After being massively confused by the choppy style-- it flits between narrative and textbook-ish history lesson-- I did some research and found that this is categorized as nonfiction. That's fine, obviously, but it's interesting to consider how my assumption shaped my approach to the story. I had assumed it was fiction, like the other titles I'd been browsing at the time, but it turns out the library's digital collection is massively disorganized and lumps everything (children/YA/adult/genre/fiction/non/historical) together.

I'm not 100% sold on this one. The choppy style is a little aggravating and the narrator uses accents that make the characters feel like caricatures (which is generally my biggest problem with audiobooks). I probably wouldn't have chosen it if I'd read the description so maybe this is a good exercise for me??